MVC or Morphic (was Re: Achieving escape velocity)

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Wed Apr 14 03:41:01 UTC 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> [snip]
> >> To avoid frustration in general, I would recommend either programming in
> >> Morphic or MVC, and not mixing the two too much.
> >
> > Sounds like good advice.  Which do you prefer?
> [snip]
>
> Depending on what you're doing, and with some care, it *seems* to be not
> too difficult to use both, reasonably. In particular, the pluggable text,
> list, and button classes are, IIRC, designed to make porting between MVC
> and Morphic fairly straightforward. They are certainly easy enough to use
> in MVC.

True enough.  I was thinking more in terms of beginners, for whom it would
be easier to pick one or the other to start out with...

> For me, right now, given my hardware, MVC is so much faster I generally
> prefer it. For PDAs, again, at least right now AFAIK (and whatever other
> hedges I can add), it's the only way to go.

I've been wondering what are the general reasons as to why Morphic is
quite a bit slower than MVC... I haven't done any real analysis myself,
though. Is there more redundant BitBlt-ing going on?  Or is there more
computation due to several layers of morphs in some cases?  Or has it just
not been optimized for performance as much as MVC (which is obviously a
lot more mature)?

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technogies, Ann Arbor, MI
  dway at eai.com, dway at mat.net