[VM] NCM performance report

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Tue Apr 6 14:43:39 UTC 1999

My two cents concerning performance and mini images:

I am working on a port to a PDA, and I must say that performance is more of a
concern than space.  My PDA gets quite a lot of daily use, has my whole life
stored in it, and still has 25MB of free storage (and 4.5MB of free RAM)
available.  In a few months, the cost of flash memory will probably drop so much
that if I waited to send this message, I would say I had 100MB of free space.
However, the PDA would still be as slow as it is now, and the cost of a faster
one would be far greater (and harder to justify) than the incremental cost of
additional storage.

I don't think we ought to abandon the mini-image constituency entirely, but we
will, I'm sure, imagine other ways (than burdening larger implementations) of
meeting the minimalist challenge.  For example, some kind of paging when the
underlying OS does not support it.  Perhaps even a return to the original
concept of Smalltalk as a replacement for an operating system.  I don't want a
PDA, I want a Dynabook!

Ed