Separating virtual machine and image files on Windows NT

shaping at bigfoot.com shaping at bigfoot.com
Thu Apr 29 19:05:34 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: <John.Maloney at disney.com>
To: <shaping at bigfoot.com>
Cc: <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 1999 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Separating virtual machine and image files on Windows NT

> At 11:51 PM -0500 4/28/99, shaping at bigfoot.com wrote:
> >I have my virtual machine and DLLs in one directory and my .image,
..changes,
> >and .sources files in another.   I formed a shortcut to run squeak.exe
with
> >a full path to the .image file.  I double clicked the shortcut.  This
caused
> >Squeak to appear with a warning about not being able to find the .changes
> >file.
> >
> >Why would Squeak not look in the same directory where it was told to find
> >(and actually found) an .image file?  I don't want to duplicate my
virtual
> >machines unnecessarily by throwing each of several different images into
> >separate directories with their own copy of a particular virtual machine.
> >Does anyone know what to do here?
>
> I suspect that the error you got referred to the .sources file,

It was indeed the .changes file, thought I don't understand why.  In the
shortcut I specifiy the .image file.  So, it finds the .image file, and then
doesn't remember to look in the same directory for the .changes.  I moved
the .sources file back to the VM directory, but still have the problem.

In the shortcut I also tried removing the explicit path to the image file,
and instead told Squeak to "Start in"  the directory containing the image.
It doesn't find the image.  Perhaps I don't understand the implications of
"Start in". I thought this meant "Look here first for whatever files you
need when you run".  Is there something strange about Squeak in this regard,
due to its portability?  I don't know whether the Start-in path involves a
reference to the Registry, which Squeak doesn't do.   I don't think it does.

Regards.