[VM] NCM performance report

Luciano Notarfrancesco luciano at core-sdi.com
Wed Apr 7 16:02:48 UTC 1999

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> On Tue 06 Apr, Edward P Luwish wrote:
> > My two cents concerning performance and mini images:
> [SNIPS}
> > Perhaps even a return to the original
> > concept of Smalltalk as a replacement for an operating system.  I don't want a
> > PDA, I want a Dynabook!
> Sigh. Me too. I want to build a StrongARM 1110 based machine with either
> linux+squeak or just squeak. I believe I can do it a bit smaller than a
> Palm III, maybe as small as a Palm V. 16-ish MB ram, 320*200 grayscale
> screen. Basically a 3rd gen Itsy, plus some other bits. Maybe use IRDA as
> a desktop machine connection. Maybe an addon unit to make a cellphone.
>
> Somebody give a couple of million to get it started and cover 18 months of
> development team work. Then maybe $5m to put together a plausible company.
>
> Please? There must be at least a couple of millionaires reading this
> list....

I want my Dynabook!!!

I'd like to put money on that... and I would probably doit if I have the
chance.
But I am not millionaire, I am member of a mid-class family in a thirth
world south
american country. If you really want to do it, it could be a good idea
to sell actions
of the company to the Squeak community. I wonder how many people in the
list would put
money (even a little, as I would do) on the project... a lot of them, I
bet.

Cheers,
Luciano.-