Browser alternatives

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sat Apr 10 15:52:46 UTC 1999

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:52:07 -0400 "Pennell's" <pennell at tiac.net> wrote:
>This is very, very nice!
>The HierarchicalListMorph can certainly stand on its own.  I think many have been waiting for
>something like this.
>
>I find myself missing a way to browse the categories.  I had to resort to the old browser to find
>all of you related classes.  Am I missing something?  A category driller would be nice (or you
>perhaps could integrate it with the current driller).

The next version (probably after 2.4 goes final) will contain a system category driller.

>It would be nice if there was an option to allow the auxilliary windows to be activated as panes for
>folks that:
>a) are lazy about moving several related windows around
>b) like to keep multiple browsers open and get confused with the window clutter.

That's a bit off the track that I have been pursuing with this browser. My thought here (and I have used it for much of its own development) is to have *one* browser open and use assorted smaller windows around the periphery to flip back and forth between areas of interest. There may be some possibilities of keying the secondary windows to the main browser visually, but I'm not sure about this, yet.

>Errata:
>In IndentingListItemMorph>>initWithContents:prior:forList:, I had to change the line:
>"self initWithContents: anObject asString font: nil." to
>"self initWithContents: anObject asString font: nil emphasis: nil".
>I'm running 2.3  with ChangeSet 787.

I do seem to get bitten by system updates from time to time, thus the wait for a stable 2.4 before the next release.

>I'm not seeing any balloon help.  I haven't had time to track this down.

See: BobsBrowser>>setBalloonTextMode

Cheers,
Bob