Squeak -> Objective-C translation

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Wed Apr 7 17:00:19 UTC 1999

Hi folks,

I've finally started work on a version of the C-Translator capable
of producing Objective-C.  There are several applications I am
targeting:  (1) using Squeak to develop/prototype Objective-C code
(2a) using Objective-C as an intermediate plug-in language that is
semantically closer (2b) translating larger portions of Squeak libs
to dynamically bound native code and (3) making VM/Interpreter code
OO to allow for better integration, easier experimentation and
multiple interpreters.

I couldn't see a way to easily subclass the CCodeGenerator, so I've
been page-faulting code into a new extensible code-generator based on
FilterStreams that will then support subclasses for both Objective-C
and plain C generation.  As far as I can tell, these should take
less space than the current C-generation support due to some
refactorings and the FilterStream savings.

Marcel