[REQ]Remove InputSensor>>mousePoint

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at launchpados.com
Mon Apr 5 22:19:15 UTC 1999

Hmm... not sure about that.  It is possible that someone might want the
cursorPoint and the mousePoint to be different things.  If we interpret the
mousePoint to be the position of the physical mouse, and the cursorPoint to
be the position of the indicator on the screen, then gridding is an example
where they might be decoupled.

There are some actual examples of the this is a couple of commercial Mac
draw/paint applications, and MacApp explicitly supported this idea.  When
gridding was on, the cursor jumped between grid points to be near the
mouse.  This gave better feedback to the user about what would happen when
the button was pressed, since without it it's not as clear which grid point
would be chosen.

Reiner writes:
>Dan et al.,
>
>while studying InputSensor I found that it has 3 methods to answer the
>coordinates of the cursor:
>
>a) mousePoint    = ^ self primMousePt
>b) cursorPoint     = ^ self cursorPoint
>c) primMousePt  =  <primitive: 90>
>
>mousePoint has 11 senders, cursorPoint has 226! and primMousePt just 1.
>
>Funny, the slowest method is used the most...
>
>I propose:
>
>a) to remove mousePoint;
>b) implement cursorPoint as <primitive: 90>.
>
>Cheers, Reinier.

Duane Maxwell         dmaxwell (at) launchpados.com
CTO                      http://www.launchpados.com
Launchpad, Inc.                 (619) 578-8500 x226

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
    and not necessarily that of Launchpad, Inc.