Thinking about a better UI

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Thu Apr 15 00:09:48 UTC 1999

jecel at lsi.usp.br wrote:

> I find it very ironic that none of the Windows users I know actually do
> use "windows". All their applications run in the "maximized" mode and they
> switch between them using the buttons on the bar at the bottom of the
> screen.

Hey, I represent that remark! :-b

Most Windows applications take up so much screen space with all the
toolbars, horizontal and vertical scrollbars, status bars, menu bar, etc
that you must maximize the window just to have any space to see what you
opened the app for in the first place -- one reason I actually like the
Squeak flopout scrollbars and the lack of all the usual gadgetry. A
1280x1024 19" screen seems to be the point at which I finally stop
maximizing things all the time under Windows.

-- Dwight