Running Squeak on Linux

"G–ran" Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 7 11:38:31 UTC 1999

Hi!

---Ivan Brusic <ivan at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Actually, I can get Squeak to run at 16 or 32 bpp, but not 24.  I
> definetly need to recheck all my X settings, something is not right
on my
> system.  Thanks for all the help.

Let me just repeat my earlier posting:

-------
switch (stVisual->class)
    {
    case PseudoColor:
      if (stBitsPerPixel == 8)
        break;
      else
        {
          fprintf(stderr, "This visual class is not supported\n");
          exit(1);
          return;
        }
    case TrueColor:
    case DirectColor:
      getMaskbit(stVisual->red_mask,   &stRNMask, &stRShift);
      getMaskbit(stVisual->green_mask, &stGNMask, &stGShift);
      getMaskbit(stVisual->blue_mask,  &stBNMask, &stBShift);
      if (stBitsPerPixel == 16)
        {
          stHasSameRGBMask16= (stVisual->red_mask   == (0x1f << 10) &&
                               stVisual->green_mask == (0x1f << 5) &&
                               stVisual->blue_mask  == (0x1f));
          break;
        }
      else if (stBitsPerPixel == 32)
        {
          stHasSameRGBMask32= (stVisual->red_mask   == (0xff << 16) &&
                               stVisual->green_mask == (0xff << 8) &&
                               stVisual->blue_mask  == (0xff));
          break;
        }
      else
        {
          fprintf(stderr, "This visual class is not supported\n");
          exit(1);
          return;
        }
    case GrayScale:
    case StaticColor:
    case StaticGray:
    default:
      fprintf(stderr, "This visual class is not supported\n");
      exit(1);
      return;
    }

-----

So reading this correct 256 colors is OK in PseudoColor
but when using TrueColor or DirectColor you need 65536 or ~2 million
colors (16 or 32 bits).

It does not check for 24 bits so the problem is not on the X side.

The second question is why the VM is built like that, but that is Ians
thing to answer - there is probably some logical explanation!

regards, G–ran

===
G–ran Hultgren, gohu at rocketmail.com, icq#:6136722
GSM: +46 709 472152, http://195.22.65.4
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Than they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi