Enhanced Newbie Debugger

Tim Olson tim at jumpnet.com
Wed Aug 25 12:42:06 UTC 1999

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Doug Way wrote:
>

> > I did notice that some messages didn't show their returned objects...
> > simple accessors such as Rectangle>>corner, and some binary selectors such
> > as + and *.  I'm not sure if this was intentional, but I don't think you'd
> > want to leave these out.

Ashley George Taylor replied:

> I'm aware of this, but not sure why this is happening. Any insight would
> be welcome. I thought it had to do with primitives.

Certain frequently-used selectors are compiled in-line to special byte
codes, instead of being compiled as message sends.  These special byte
codes check the operand classes and directly perform the operation if
the operands are of the correct class for the common case; if not, the
byte code causes a message send.

	-- tim