Keyword order in Smalltalk

Stephen Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 11 22:39:54 UTC 1999

Hello all,

I was just talking to a colleague who's a Java programmer interested in
Smalltalk, and I could not come up with a meaningful example of when
keyword order really matters in a method body. (It can of course matter
in what order you compute the arguments in the calling method, in case
the preparation of one argument has side-effects that influence the
value of another method.)

Apart from the obvious faster method lookup, why *should* Smalltalk
treat two methods with the same keywords but different keyword order as
unique methods?

Exanmples:
	Boolean ifTrue:ifFalse vs. ifFalse:ifTrue
	Rectangle left:top:right:bottom vs left:right:bottom:top
	Dictionary case:otherwise: vs. otherwise:case

Any ideas?

stp

--

Stephen Travis Pope  --  http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~stp