Please help: Recovering Swiki from "crash"?

Robb Shecter shecter at darmstadt.gmd.de
Tue Aug 3 15:32:22 UTC 1999

Lex Spoon wrote:

> If look in the actual Swiki directory, there will be a bunch of files named 1, 2, 3, ....  There is one file per page, an if you look in the files, you will see all previous versions of each page are in there.  In the worst case, you could go in there with a text editor and cut and paste your things out.

Aha  - yes, I do see the info there in the files.  I now checked the modification dates on the files, and they do have my latest changes.  For some reason, though, Swiki doesn't recognize them.  The "recent changes" links doesn't pick them up, and direct links to these pages have incomplete links, as if they haven't been
started yet.

> As for why it happens, how do you restart your Swiki?  If you restart it with a "restoreFrom:" command, then it will read in all the old files.  If you go through the initial creation methods again, however, it will start a new Swiki and forget about all its pages....  If I'm not mistaken, the proper command would look like:
>
>         SwikiAction restore: 'swikiname'.

Hmm.  This is interesting.  I always do a ' new restore:'.

Well, I'm not too sure where to go from here.  restoreFrom? Or, maybe just click on the links to my documents, and see if it finds them...  Is this me, or was the Swiki not designed to save its state after every write?

- Robb