A different view of Smalltalk

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Aug 19 02:47:57 UTC 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:25:28 +0200 Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at netsurf.de> wrote:
>If the view would be a little bit more dense, it would be
>even better.

Stefan,

A couple of small things (that *do* add up) you can do are:

1. In SyntaxMorph class methods #row:on: and #column:on:, add the following to the messages setting up the new morph:

		inset: 1;

You can get even denser if you make that zero, but you start to lose some of the borders.

2. Make NonEditableTextMorph a subclass of StringMorph rather than TextMorph.

Beyond that, particularly in the horizontal dimension, you could start to introduce some wrapping of items. I felt that this entered into some rather subjective areas and introduced inconsistencies that might make it harder to understand even though it might be easier to see, but who knows?

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. As a contrast, another user suggested _increasing_ the borderWidth to 2. I guess there are a lot of variables relating to available screen real estate, visual acuity, acceptance of scrolling and method complexity that make this a difficult question to resolve conclusively.