Morphic Viewers -- was: [RE: RE: A different view of Smalltalk]

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Thu Aug 19 15:19:36 UTC 1999

Hi Bob & co.

Bob Arning [arning at charm.net] wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:10:03 -0400 "Norton, Chris" <chrisn at Kronos.com>
wrote:
I have struggled mightily with the Morphic "viewers", but I still find
myself using the old browsers.

This is one of the strange things about Squeak - there are so many things
there that one might never notice. The thing being "viewers" and the one
being me. I did a little browsing and saw some *Viewer classes, but I don't
know where they come into play. Since you have used them, what's the short
answer (i.e. what button do I press to actually see one)?

I'll preface this comment with: "I'm not a "viewer" expert, so please bear
with my clunky explanation."  :-)

In a Morphic project, bring up a halo on some morph (I recommend trying this
out on a small, simple morph -- for speed).  Choose the cyan colored button
(first one down from the upper left corner -- it has a balloon help label:
"view me").  After a brief pause, a pale green viewer morph controller will
appear.  This control unit can be used to make your chosen morph do things.
In the top control group, for example, you will see a command "turn by",
followed by a spin control with "5" selected.  If you click on the yellow
highlighted "!" next to the "turn by", your morph will rotate by 5 units (I
don't know what the units are).

There are many standard "controls" that you can play with in this fashion
for all morphs.  At the top of the viewer control you will find "basic"
preceded by another spin control.  Clicking on the up/down arrows will give
you other "controls" you can try.

OK.  So that is the basic "viewer".  But there is another use that they can
be put to: scripting.  Here's where my knowledge starts to get woefully
thin.  If you are interested in the scripting part, you might try out this
tutorial.  I'm sure the folks at Disney could give you more elaborate
information.  There may also be more morphic tutorials at the GA Tech site.

"User Scripting":
http://www.phaidros.com/DIGITALIS/englisch/sqk/sqk00037.htm

Cheers!

---==> Chris