Eliminating assignments and variable syntax (accessors)

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Sat Aug 14 17:09:43 UTC 1999

> From: Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com>
>
>      Suggestion: turn all the energy worrying about formatting
Smalltalk-80
> conventions into good ideas for making real OOP inviting to look
at and we
> can make these happen right from the parse tree ....

My idea was to do something like this in small steps.  Starting with
where we are right now, look at places that are causing problems and
change them, always keeping the overall goal in mind.  Observe how
the change works and repeat as necessary.

However, suggestions of small, incremental changes always seem to
elicit *exactly* two reactions.  The 'conservatives' complain about
any change whatsoever whereas 'progressives' aren't satisfied with so
small a change and want to redesign everything, preferably mitching
and matching cncepts from as many languages 'du jour' as possible.
Even more interesting, the hue and cry from the 'conservatives' seems
to be the same for big changes as for small changes, suggesting that
few radical changes are actually an effective measure for
negative-feedback-minimization.

:-)))

Marcel