Text Wrapping Demo (was RE: Car and Steering wheel demo and Squeak-DEMOS)

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Thu Aug 26 21:39:33 UTC 1999

I was able to play "car.tape" and it was definitely cool. Thank you for
this.

I tried "textwrap.tape", however, and the effect was a little disappointing.
Did you upload the correct file? The cursor wandered around the screen a
bit, saved my image, played around with the menus some more, and that's
about it.

I was actually hoping it would show how bookmorphs work. I need to get some
ideas down and I was debating: MS Word or HTML. Bleah.

I downloaded Xanadu, but the green release is all in C, so I won't be trying
to get that up too quickly. But I also read some of their web docs, which
got me looking at some web sites describing collaborative work environments
(e.g. http://eies.njit.edu/~turoff/Papers/delphi3.html) and I thought it
might be worthwhile to try and create something around this using PWS.

Swikis are great, but the web-based editor is quite poor. It should be
fairly easy to set up something using bookmorphs, however, if I can figure
out how to make them work properly.

EventRecorderMorph should provide an error message when it is unable to open
a file (or "read a tape"), this makes things quite confusing because it does
not seem to work unless you enter the full path name. It also has a
hard-coded assumption that lines end with Character cr. Aren't there
higher-level constructs for reading a file a line at a time than the
following pattern?

[aStream atEnd]
	whileFalse: [
		line := aStream upTo: Character cr.
		lineStream := ReadStream on: lineStream.
		etc...
	]

Cheers,

Steve