Update from server blows up.

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Sat Aug 7 02:28:04 UTC 1999

For Windows the latest Squeak VM is dated May 7, 1999:
ftp://ftp.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/pub/Smalltalk/free/squeak/win32/bin/Squeak24c.exe

And from ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.4/
get Squeak2.4c.changes, Squeak2.4c.image, Squeak3D.dll, and
SoundCodecPrims.dll.

The 2.4 version release sequence is rather confusing - the original 2.4
(no letter) release thought it was a 2.3 image with no updates, and
would apply the wrong updates (this may be what your problem is - I
think the lower update numbers are from the 2.3 update stream). I forget
what the problem with 2.4a was, but you don't want it either. 2.4b is
fine, but 2.4c requires fewer updates to bring it current. Somewhere
along this path Squeak Central changed the numbering of their updates to
match that of their internal update stream -- originally they used a
different number sequence for externally released updates.

The last update (patch level if you wish) for a 2.4c image is 1209. You
can see this by selecting "help..." from the screen menu and then
selecting "about this system".

BTW, is Squeak Central still looking for an FTP site librarian? I would
be happy to help with getting this mess straightened out.

-- Dwight