punctuation (was Re: Eliminating assignments and variablesyntax (accessors))

Stephen Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 4 22:01:15 UTC 1999

Travis Griggs wrote:

> Alan Knight wrote:
>
> > At 04:01 PM 8/3/99 -0700, Stephen Pope wrote:
>
> > >Travis Griggs wrote:
>
> Pardon my ignorance. What's the difference between a statement terminator and a
> statement separator? It seems that if you terminate a statement, you separate
> it from the next one to come along.

You're right, but what about the last statement on a block or method?
Alan made the point that, if we interpreted "." as a statement
terminator, it would be required before the closing square bracket in
blocks, leading to the strange-looking phrase,
	.].].].
whereas we can now write,
	]]].

It's also not required after return statements that are not followed by
more statements, as in,
	^self
rather than,
	^self.