[Newbie] A better MacSqueak

swan swan at hayman.cs.umass.edu
Mon Aug 9 04:50:52 UTC 1999

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Chris wrote:

> > IIRC, there's an extension that has to go into System
> > Folder->Extensions.
> > When you unstuff the distribution, it ends up in the Squeak folder.
> > PlayWithMe7 gave me the same warning until I moved the extension.
> >
> > -Russ
> >

> What is the extension? Are you sure that this is true, because it
> would be a better design to make the plugin for squeak work with
> Squeak, and not MacOS. I know window's plugin (3d.dll or something)
> is in the squeak folder.

There are 2 extensions in the Mac distribution - Squeak3D and
SoundCodecPrims. When I first started, I got the warning from Alice about
not having 3D enabled. I put those 2 extensions in the Systems Folder,
rebooted, and everything worked fine. I've since taken them out, and put
them back in the Squeak folder and rebooted, and everything continues to
work.

As far as requiring extensions in the extensions folder, that was the way
Macs always worked - anything in the extensions folder would be installed
at startup, and the way to disable an extension was to move it out of the
folder. I'm now running MacOS 8.6, which has Extensions Manager, so the
requirement of having to be in System:Extensions may be gone.

As far as your problem of no 3D and no sound, try moving those extensions
and rebooting, and see if that takes care of it.

-Russ