Problem with PWS and Squeak2.5

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Thu Aug 26 15:22:40 UTC 1999

Everything works fine with a 2.4 image and a 2.4 VM.

I traced the 2.5 problem as well as I could within Squeak.
Socket class>>initializeNetwork works fine.

The problem occurs in the changed implementation of
ConnectionQueue>>listenLoop. In 2.5, the socket is sent the message
listenOn:backlogSize: which dies when it hits the primitive.

The 2.4 implementation is using Socket>>listenOn: which calls a different
primitive.

Possibly Mark did not have this problem with the Mac VM because it is a
little bit further along than the 2.4c VM for Windows?

On a related note, I read the FAQ on how to set up a headless swiki at

http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu:8080/myswiki.285

but it seems to be a little Unix-oriented. Can anyone give me some pointers
on setting up a headless Swiki on NT (i.e. as a service?). Do I really have
to recompile the VM? I use NT every day, but that doesn't mean I know
anything about the OS :-). I've heard there's a tool with the NT resource
kit for making standalone apps into services, but I've never used it.

Steve