Problem with PWS and Squeak2.5

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 26 14:31:43 UTC 1999

--On Thursday, August 26, 1999, 6:26 AM -0700 "Steve Wart" <swart at home.com>
wrote:

> I am having a similar problem with the 2.4c VM and the 2.5 image on NT.
> This could be a newbie problem (as both Kellie and I are trying this
> for the first time), because of either not understanding the documentation
> or because something has changed that affects new swikis but not existing
> ones.
>
> Or it could be a problem in using the 2.5 image with the 2.4c VM?

This is my personal guess. If you could try it with a 2.4 image, that would
help enormously.

(I *believe* the 2.5 image & vm have some "conditional" support for new
socket prims. I'm not sure that PWS is fully cognizant of them.)

> Here are the steps I am following (from PWS howToStart)
>
> 1. Download the Server folder from
> 	http://guzdial.cc.gatetech.edu/st/server.tar
> 2. Untar into a directory called Server in Squeak's working directory
> 3. Change ServerAction(class)>>serverDirectory as required
> 4. [PWS initializeAll]
> 5. Create a subdirectory in Server folder (I called it 'fortune')
> 6. [SwikiAction setUp: 'fortune']
> 7. [PWS serveOnPort: 8080 loggingTo: 'swiki-log.txt'] fork

Quick point. "fork" is unnecessary, and, indeed, doesn't do anything.

But given that it *looks* like a problem with processes, you might try it
without forking and see what happens.

Also, try starting up PWS *after* initializeAll but *without* SwikiAction
setup. My guess is that you'll get the crash, but it'd be nice to confirm.

I strongly recommend working with an older PWS first!

Cheers,
Bijan.