More Benchmark Results + Problems with Win32/WinCE VMs

Greg & Cindy Gritton gritton at ibm.net
Tue Aug 31 04:55:56 UTC 1999

At 11:03 AM 8/20/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Dean,
>
>>           Interesting side note: This is about 30% faster than
>>           my 450 MHz Pentium II at work.
>>
>Check out how much L2 cache you have in the machines - it could make a huge
>difference.

The difference could also be attributable to the longer branch misprediction
penalties of the Pentium II compared to the newer PowerPC chips.
The x86 instruction set is harder to decode and takes more cycles
to do so, so a mispredicted branch takes more cycles.
Meanwhile, the PowerPC processors have about the lowest branch
misprediction penalty of any chip I am familiar with.
The bytecode branch, at least, will likely be mispredicted.

Greg Gritton                        (greg at gritton.org)