Eliminating assignments and variable syntax (accessors)

Jarvis, Robert P. Jarvisb at timken.com
Mon Aug 2 20:13:53 UTC 1999

Thanks for the explanations.  What troubles me is that the grammar of the
language now becomes more complex, in my opinion, rather than simpler.  With
this proposal Smalltalk would now have "normal" message sends, of the form
message sends, of the form "<message> {<optional arguments and keywords>}".
Maybe I'm just in reactionary mode today (I'll be one of the first against
the wall when the revolution comes, no doubt :-) but it just doesn't seem to
"flow" as nicely to me.

Maybe we should go a step further and consider how to eliminate variables.
Without variables and their required assignment syntax this issue becomes
moot.  Functional Smalltalk, anyone?  (Before anyone gets too wound up about
this, let me hastily add that the functional languages I've seen are not my
cup of tea, heavy on the static strong typing and light on the practically
useful.  I do think that some of the ideas of functional programming, such
as the elimination of state and delayed expression evaluation, could be
potentially useful, but I haven't a clue how to go about this).

Bob Jarvis
The Timken Company