PWS headless - Lack of Responsiveless and Double Submits

Georg Gollmann georg.gollmann at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Aug 26 07:10:14 UTC 1999

> > Can someone please explain what is happening in this PWS
>> loopOnPort:loggingTo: method and how it interacts with the Squeak
>> "simulated" processes...
>
>The loop method is looping indefinitely, calling
>ConnectionQueue>>getConnectionOrNil, which, if there are no connections
>pending, will return immediately with a nil.  Hence, taking out a delay in
>that loop will chew up the CPU.  Unfortunately, having the delay can
>introduce an unnecessary lag time in picking up connections.
>
>A better solution would probably be to use a SharedQueue for stacking up
>connections and use #next to retrieve connections (I could have sworn that
>this was what ConnectionQueue was doing, but apparently not).  The #next
>would pause the PWS loop until a connection is placed into the queue.

For such a beast look into the "Sockets" section of
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Squeak/miscChanges.st ...

Georg
----
Dipl.Ing. Georg Gollmann                TU-Wien, Zentraler Informatikdienst
                                         Wiedner Hauptstr. 8-10
phon:(+43-1) 58801 - 42022              A-1040 Wien
fax: (+43-1) 58801 - 42099
mail:gollmann at zid.tuwien.ac.at
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Gollmann.html