ICFP Contest

Chris Reuter cgreuter at calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 11 22:24:08 UTC 1999

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 10:20:04AM -0500, Eugene Wallingford wrote:
> >I don't think this would be appropriate.  ICFP = International Conference on
> >Functional Programming (e.g. Haskell, OCaml, Miranda), and I don't think
> >Smalltalk or Squeak can be considered functional languages.
>
>      True, but last year's entrants were dominated by C-derivative
>      languages.  One can certainly program in a functional style
>      within Squeak--and our UI would probably not the socks of
>      most others!

According to the web page, the contest is open to any language
specifically to avoid the question of whether <language> is
functional.  Rather, the problem will be biased to favour functional
languages but there are no restrictions on style AFAIK.

So if the ideal solution in Squeak isn't functional, no problem.

It would be an interesting challenge, but I suspect that Squeak will
be hampered by VM overhead unless the problem can really benefit from
pluggable primitives.  Still, it's a way to put Squeak on the map.

			  --Chris

....tempted to try something in Fortran, just to change the F in ICFP...