Eliminating assignments and variable syntax (accessors)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Aug 14 01:45:58 UTC 1999

agree at carltonfields.com wrote:

> Why would we ever consider doing this to Smalltalk?  This is the question we must address as a threshold issue, before we start hacking out the implementation details.  Before we even consider what is "cool" and what is "neat," let's try first to agree on a more core issue of what bases, if any, we would use to choose one approach over another.  Until we can, this is all just religious banter.  What objective means would we use to decide whether a proposal is a good thing.

The reason, I think, would be the same as in Python: indented code is easier to read.  I'm not saying that a decent indentation-based syntax exists for Smalltalk, but wouldn't it be nice?  Currently, you can't *really* trust the indentation of code you are looking at, because the indentation cues might be wrong.  You have to scan code character-by-character looking for delimeters.

Lex