Is Java on the client dead? Wither Squeak?

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Dec 14 18:10:39 UTC 1999

Hi

How can I access this info on live.ac.com?
I was browsing for a while but could not find it and the query is not working

Thanks

> On one hand I have a strong urge to pump my arm in the air and shout "Woo!
> Woo!" ala Dilbert, scream "Tol'ja so!  Tol'ja so!" at my colleagues who have
> invested much time and energy into learning Java, and, in general, carry on.
> On the other hand, I really don't want to have my lights punched out, and I
> think a couple of the local Javazoids used to work at the post office.  :-)
> On the gripping hand, I think the Java saga is a cautionary tale for us all,
> showing us that hype, despite its glitter and flash appeal, is not reality,
> despite the best/worst efforts of the marketing drones.
>
> Oddly enough, I threw out two copies of VA/Java 2.0 this morning.  No reason
> for it - I just got tired of having them sitting around, collecting dust and
> taking up desk space.  Never did get around to installing them...  (Well,
> OK, maybe I *did* have just a glimmer of a premonition... :-)
>
> Curious, isn't it, that Sun on this course for Java just *after* the
> Microsoft anti-trust decision?  Coincidence..?
>
> Bob Jarvis
> Compuware @ Timken

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.