[UPDATES] - two more for 2.7alpha

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Dec 8 05:50:52 UTC 1999

>I then evaluated the magical expression (above).
>
>It turns out that category names cannot be the same as existing
>classes. (My code that transfers applications from IBM Smalltalk does
>this on purpose.) If they are, the conversion code gets the class
>instead of a new subenvironment name. Once I fixed those, each time
>starting from a freshly reloaded image, it converted OK.

Aha.  Hadn't thought of this.  I'm assuming you want an environment Zort that has in it a class named Zort.  I believe this should work fine in the current scheme, and I also believe that it it doesn't right now.  It shouldn't be hard to fix.

>After some renames, the magic expression completed.
>
>Then I went to an existing project and tried to run some code but
>class names in that project are undefined. If I try to evaluate an
>expression, the class cannot be found and if I try to click on the
>name in a previously opened browser I get continuous walkbacks.
>
>I presume that happens because it's not quite all there yet? or am I
>missing something obvious?

Yes.  It's not quite all there yet.  It is at a point where I can fix things pretty fast, I just have zero time for the next two days.

Congratulations on your courage and persistence.  If you feel like sending me (privately) specific details about what didn't work, it will speed my process as soon as I'm back in action.  I'm glad to have a client.

	- Dan