Squeak as (and) "Das Glasperlenspiel"

Kokan kokan at acm.org
Sat Dec 25 17:49:02 UTC 1999

Hello to all Squeakers!
I would be grateful if someone from Squeak Central (Alan Kay?) could
answer a
few of my questions below:

1) "Why the Computer Revolution hasn't happened yet?" (Alan's last
year's talk
at CMU): Is there a transcript of it or something like that? If not,
what would be
Squeak's role in helping with it (Computer Revolution)?

2) Finding aha vectors (Alan Kay and 'HOPL II - Closing Panel'):
Regarding the extensible Smalltalk and flexible syntax (long time ago).
Wouldn't it
be possible that after so many unreadable Smalltalk programs, we would
get one, which would be written by Herman Hesse (probably not at this
meta level (1962),
but maybe at another one)? What are (will be) Squeak's aha vectors?

3) What would be a Second Generation MOP? Third, ...? Would it go beyond
the
approach in 'The Art of the Metaobject Protocol'? Mentioning this book
and
"on-backstage" approach wouldn't it be better to try "on-audience"
approach
(different meta topology where audience, kids, developers, ... are part
of it). Is that
what Squeak's role might be regarding 1)? To allow everyone to play
Glass Bead
Games?

TIA
Kokan