[ENH][GOODIE] Alignment for SimpleHierarchicalListMorph and DirectoryExplorer

Bernhard Pieber pieber at acm.org
Wed Dec 22 22:32:54 UTC 1999

------=_NextPart_000_009E_01BF4CD4.DE8E2AE0

I have attached two small change sets:

"Change Set:  HierarchicalListAlignments
Date:   22 December 1999
Author:   Bernhard Pieber

This change set adds two minor features to Bob Arning's
SimpleHierarchicalListMorph:

First it makes sure that all the columns (besides the first) are aligned
vertically. This was not the case for different indentation levels.

Second, it allows to specify an alignment (left, center or right) for the
contents of each column."

My thanks go to Bob Arning for the SimpleHierarchicalListMorph and the
ObjectExplorer. They were really easy to use!

I am sure that I reinvented the wheel when I programmed a method for the
alignment of text in the FormCanvas class. I looked around a little but I
did not find the "proper" way to do this. Perhaps something else should be
used instead of the QuickPrint class? Any suggestions would be welcome.

The second change set uses the first to show directory structures in a
hierarchical list:

"Change Set:  DirectoryExplorer
Date:   22 December 1999
Author:   Bernhard Pieber

This change set implements the DirectoryExplorer which allows to view
directory contents using Bob Arning's SimpleHierarchicalListMorph and
requires the change set HierarchicalListAlignments.

It does not access the file system directly but uses a class DirectoryNode
which can be used to cache a certain directory structure.

The DirectoryExplorer is not yet very useful except as an example for the
use of the SimpleHierarchicalListMorph and the alignment enhancements."

As this is my first code contribution to Squeak I want to take the
opportunity and thank you all for this wonderful environment! It is exciting
to watch Squeak evolving at such an amazing speed in so interesting
directions. And it really captures my imagination. I wonder how it will look
like a year from now!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

 -- Bernhard

------=_NextPart_000_009E_01BF4CD4.DE8E2AE0