Display speed on large monitor

Ryan Daum opiate at saturn5.com
Wed Dec 29 16:27:27 UTC 1999

Hi andreas, thanks for your response....

"Raab, Andreas" wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> > I am using Squeak 2.6 on the Win32 VM on Windows 98 on a
> > P2-266 with an ImageAccel 2 card on a 20" 256-grayscale monitor.
>
> What's an ImageAccel 2 card?! Never heard of it - who's the manufacturer?!

The manufacturer of both the card and the monitor is Cornerstone.  I believe
they have been purchased by Matrox.

> Squeak's display speed depends heavily on the quality of the drivers for
> your graphics card. In particular it depends on how efficient bitmap copy
> operations are implemented. *Usually*, modern graphics cards implement 2D
> hardware accelleration for bitmaps and if so, Squeak should be reasonably
> fast. My best guess is that you've got relatively poor drivers for your card
> (Windows falls back onto simulation code if the operation is not directly
> supported by the driver).

Interesting... it's just that performance in windows is far far superior to
graphics performance in Squeak.  Operations in windows are actually quite fast,
while in Squeak they are unusably slow.

> hoping to release some stuff after 2.7 is out but somehow I doubt that it'll
> help you, since it will rely on exactly the same things that should be
> accellerated already. Although it'll make things quite a bit faster
> (hopefully) the core question is still how good is the graphics card at
> copying pixels efficiently.

Hmm, well judging by performance in other apps, I don't see why Squeak should be
so significantly slower.... It seems to me that Windows must be using some
aspects of the driver/display code that Squeak does not....

OH well, I suppose I'll just stick to squeaking at work...

Thanks for your response,
    Ryan
"The only truth that gets through will be what we force through: the
victory of reason will be the victory of people who are prepared to
reason, nothing else." -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo"