True Type Fonts.

Jeff Szuhay jeff.szuhay at pstnet.com
Wed Dec 8 15:55:54 UTC 1999

This came in over the transom on another list and since there was
another discussion here awhile ago about fonts which degenerated
into legal matters, I thought this would be of interest here.

8-)

BTW, is it just me or does it seem like the pace of progress at SqC has
  gone up a notch or two?

>  > PovRay ( an OpenSource Raytracer )  contains a TrueType parser.
>  > the Mac sources are in the directory
>  > <http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/Macintosh>
>  > in the file povmac_s.hqx
>  > in this archive is a directory named   >source<  which contains  TRUETYPE.C
>
>If Quesa is going to need a TrueType engine, I would like to suggest the
>FreeType library. It's the most well-developed free TT engine out there,
>it's been ported to DOS/Unix/OS2/Windows/Amiga, it forms the basis of TT
>support for a large number of applications, and (at least in the Linux
>domain) it's already installed on a large number of systems.
>
>It's primarily a rasterization library, but it lets you get at the font
>outlines. It's probably overkill if Quesa is the only program using it on a
>machine, but FreeType is already fairly well established on platforms
>lacking a vendor-provided TT solution.
>
>The project website is at http://www.freetype.org/. They currently have a
>notice up about possible patent problems with Apple, but nothing's come of
>that (at least yet). FreeType is a clean-room implementation, and I believe
>said patent issues would be applicable to any TT implementation anyway.
>
>And just as an aside, if Postscript Type 1 font support sounds like a good
>idea, there's t1lib. It's basically the same animal as FreeType-- a very
>complete rasterization library that has an interface to the outlines. Very
>very good docs; not sure about the portability. Home page is at
>http://www.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ini/PEOPLE/rmz/t1lib/t1lib.html

    Jeff Szuhay                <mailto:jeff.szuhay at pstnet.com>
    Lead Macintosh Engineer    voice: 412/271-5040 x 227
    Psychology Software Tools  <http://www.pstnet.com/>