Display speed on large monitor

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 20 00:43:11 UTC 1999

> ryan daum <opiate at saturn5.com> wrote...
>>I am using Squeak 2.6 on the Win32 VM on Windows 98 on a P2-266 with an
>>ImageAccel 2 card on a 20" 256-grayscale monitor.  The card can only
>>operate in one of two modes: 640x480 or 1600x1280.  Rendering speed in
>>Squeak is an order of magnitude slower than rendering speeds in any
>>Windows applications, and makes it pretty much unusable for me.  I like
>>the way Squeak looks in grayscale, and having all the extra working space,
>>but I can't make it behave at a reasonable speed.  I tried reduce colour
>>bit depth to 8, 4, or 1, but this didn't improve behaviour that much.
>>
>>Are there newer additions to the BitBlt code for Squeak that would improve
>>this?  Any support for hardware graphics acceleration?  I'd like to know..

You can check my web site, I've a VM patch for 2.6 (NOT 2.7) to control the
amount of times squeak copies the updated squeak virtual screen to the
actual OS window. This  might improve things since you reduced the amount of
interaction with your graphics card. You will need to build a Window's VM
since I've only an example Mac VM with the patch applied.

PS I've been working with Andreas on getting the PowerPC and 68K version
faster, 10X?, well anything is possible....

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6