Fonts-Question

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Dec 27 15:37:34 UTC 1999

I want to add a new font to squeak.  I picked Windows' Tahoma as a first
example because I like it as a clean and narrow font for menus and dialogs.
 I managed to create a single strike font (using Andreas' old STFONT.EXE
program) per font - but then the problems start...

I want to combine at least Tahoma-Regular and Tahoma-Bold in such a way
that Squeak knows only a single Tahoma font which can be displayed in bold
and regular style.  It Squeak tried to a synthetic bold font, the result is
very ugly.

However, after studying the StrikeFont class, I believe that this isn't
possible, is it?  This would at least explain, why Squeak knows ComicPlain
and ComicBold instead of a single Comic font.  I manually tweaked the
regular strike font to know the bold one as derivate but this link will go
away on shutdown.

Has anybody fixed this already?  As usual, I'm working on 2.6.

I'd probably start with changing "StrikeFont>>reset" which resets the cache
of synthetic fonts.  This might be a good place to use a list of variant
fonts to initialize the cache from.  Another possible way could be to
change "StrikeFont>>emphasized:" and lookup the font with a variant name in
the TextConstants pool dictionary first before creating a synthetic font.

However, I don't see any clean way how to use size, pointSize, name,
familyName, familySizeFace, emphasis and so on without documentation.  Any
help is welcome.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.