[ANN] InfoAgent 0.7 released

Mahler Thomas thomas.mahler at karstadt.de
Mon Dec 20 08:34:23 UTC 1999

Dear Squeakers,

I've been working on a squeak-based web-recherche tool for some time.
It's not completely finished but in a state where it could be usefull
for others as well.

>From the documentation:
The InfoAgent Suite contains three major components:
- WebWatcher
- SearchEngine
- BookmarkManager

WebWatcher
The WebWatcher tracks changes in WWW pages.
It maintains a list of WebDocument objects which are checked
periodically.
If WebWatcher detects any changes, it will perform certain methods on
the respective WebDocument (e.g. display the page in a WebBrowser
window, or play
a signal sound...) The actual methods can be freely configured, see
entry for #changeActions under InfoAgent configuration edit.

SearchEngine
The SearchEngine maintains a list of Internet searchengines. You can use
any of these for your internet recherche.
Try something like: SearchEngine Dmoz searchAndBrowse: 'Squeak'.
SearchEngine Dmoz searchAndManage: 'Squeak' will result in a more
sophisticated representation of the search results:
The resulting page is scanned for urls and the found urls are placed in
a special category 'Search Results' into the BookmarkManager (BM).
At last the BM is openened and you can start do work with your freshly
created bookmarks.

BookmarkManager
The BookmarkManager maintains all Bookmarks used throughout the
InfoAgent suite:
- Documents tracked by WebWatcher are kept in the BookmarkCategory
'WebWatched Documents'. (you can mark WebSites as "webwatched" by
dragging them into this category.)
- Search results from web searches can be kept in the category 'Search
Results'.
- There is a 'Trash' folder where you place stuff you don't need any
longer.
- You can add any links from the WebBrowser to any Category. You can
create new Categories and manage everything by drag-and-drop.
- BM marks entries are displayed in three different colours according to
their status: New entries are marked orange, if Webwatcher detects a
change it will mark the entry red. After visiting the entry via "open in
web browser" it is marked green.
- BM can export its Bookmarks as a standard Netscape Navigator Bookmark
file !
Open BM by BookmarkManager explore.

See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.InfoAgent for more details.

Download:
I did not manage to upload the code to minnow so you have to fetch it
from here: http://www.techno.net/pcl/tm/squeak/Interface-InfoAgent.st

Start it by "InfoAgent go" !

Plans:
- Import of Navigator Bookmarkfiles
- Full integration with Scamper (I prepared my code to make this easy)

enjoy,

Thomas