[GOODIE] Squeak Smalltalk: A Quick Reference (v. 0.0)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sun Dec 5 20:01:47 UTC 1999

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> >ProtoObject is the real root of the class hierarcy, and Object is
> >actually a subclass of ProtoObject.  ProtoObject represents the
> >"behaviourless object" -- the absolute minimum that is required to
> >exist "harmoniously" as an object in the image.
>

> Of course, ProtoObject does have behavior.  It responds, in particular, to:
>
> 	#isNil
> 	#ifNil:ifNotNil (and friends)
> 	#pointsTo:
> 	comparison for identity
> 	become:
> 	nextInstance
> 	nextObject
> 	rehash
>
> so, like nil, ProtoObject isn't a "pure" abstraction of
> behaviorlessness.  Couldn't we handle #doesNotUnderstand: a bit more
> graciously without practical harm?

Yes, I think this can be done. As Ian noted every subclass of ProtoObject
has to implement #doesNotUnderstand, so we can add it to ProtoObject
without a problem. (And I should have done this right in the original
ProtoObject-changeset).

     Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de phone at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749
Imitating paper on a computer screen is like tearing the wings off a 747 and