debugging broken in 2.6?

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Mon Dec 6 15:31:11 UTC 1999

Tim Olson <tim at jumpnet.com> wrote ...
>Has anyone else had difficulty debugging in 2.6?  I used to insert a
>"self halt" at the point I wanted to drop into a debugger, but that
>doesn't seem to work quite right, anymore (has to do with the new
>Exception Handling package?)  I tried "Halt signal", and that seems to
>stop at the right point, but the keys for step (t) and send (e) don't
>work, and sometimes stepping winds up far down the context stack from
>where I was.

Folks -

I have encountered the same problem and I think it is important to fix this in 2.7.  Unfortunately I'm pretty much out of commission for the rest of the week.  It's a project that "A few good Squeakers" could surely solve.  If you're in the mood to participate, here's what we need:

1.  One or two specific examples of failure that can easily be duplicated in any 2.6 image (I'm assuming the probs are same in 2.6 and 2.7alpha -- if not, that is a clue).  [Tim: if you have such, please post it].

2.  Someone to track it down and fix it (duh).

I will at least be following mail, and if I see this come through, I'll turn it around as an update asap.

Gentlemen, start your engines...

	- D