True Type Fonts.

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sun Dec 12 00:39:38 UTC 1999

>     BTW, some of the FreeTyper's concerns seemed to have to do with the
>user interface for moving control points around. I'd be amazed if these
>ideas were (a) new, or (b) even patentable. They almost certainly have
>nothing to do with our main interests (which is to use their small
>efficient plugin as a rendering engine).

Fair enough, to the extent that the patents are directed to a method
for modifying the fonts (as opposed to rendering them).  This may be
a fair interpretation, based solely on a superficial review of the
patents, but I dare not conclude one way or the other without
investigating the prosecution history.

If the patents are directed solely to the creation of hinted fonts,
as Alan suggests may be the case, a rendering engine (as opposed to a
hinted font editor program) would not be infringing.  Some support
for this proposition can be found in the specification of the
patents.  If it can be extended to a rendering engine, it strikes me
as dangerous to ignore it.

Is there any way simply to ask Apple, thereby finessing the need to
consider the question further?  Consent is always the best defense.