True Type Fonts.

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sat Dec 11 17:02:04 UTC 1999

Thanks to Bob Arning for the list of patent numbers.  The claims can
be viewed at:

  	http://www.viewpatent.com/?5155805

	http://www.viewpatent.com/?5159668

	http://www.viewpatent.com/?5325479

These patents are highly focused on hinting, acknowledging
outline-based glyph generation to be prior art.  The third patent
appears (can't tell anything without viewing prosecution history) to
be quite broader, at least when I started thinking about obvious ways
to engineer around the first, primarily in adding some references, as
well as removing the "angle" limitations.

I'd be really interested to know more about the foreign references.

I'd be interested in seeing or knowing more about the specific prior
art references Alan has in mind concerning hinting technology.

Not legal advice, etc.