Newbie: Enclose Command Key Actions

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Wed Dec 1 22:36:36 UTC 1999

Daniel,

> On Windows NT, some Command Key actions don't seem to work
> correctly.

What you're encountering is a porting problem. The keybindings were
originally designed on a Mac and there is just no equivalent of a 'command'
key on Windows machines. That's why the VM reports the Alt key as what is
Cmd on the Mac (since the Mac has a Ctrl key as well, I couldn't just report
the Ctrl key as Cmd - this would lead to lots of confusion and now there is
at least a unique mapping; e.g., Alt->Cmd and Ctrl->Ctrl).

> 1.	Some enclose keys don't all work. ' ', [ ], are fine (however, using

> ALT, not Command as specified in the help). But I can't get " ", or ( ) to

> work no matter what combination I try (Command, Shift, Alt).

That's a Windows problem. Windows does not report certain key combinations
and I'm not sure if that's a hardware problem or a software problem. It's
just that no events are generated.

> 2.	Copy Cut and Paste use the Mac Alt key. No big deal,
> though I would like to use the standard Windows Control instead.

So would I...

> Is there a simple way I can fix this?

Not really. The only relatively simple way is to modify the key bindings in
class ParagraphEditor to what you'd like. But it's not really simple because
you've got to know what you're doing and some combinations may again not
work (see above).

  Andreas