caching of screen display...

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 1 23:21:03 UTC 1999

"John M McIntosh" <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> (Lex also had some thoughts on a more complicated solution)

You skipped the first part of my response.  What about Squeak's built in
"defer updates" feature, when combined with the frame-rate limitters in
Morphic and MVC?  I'm not sure I completely understand what you are
trying, but the combination of these features seem to accomplish the
same result, and in a platform-independent way.

To put it another way, if Squeak in Morphic ever puts out the same pixel
to the server within 10 ms (or whatever your frame-rate limit is), then
there is either a bug in Squeak or a bug in the VM's implementation of
deferred screen updates.  Given this, what does the modification that
you have made buy for people?

For example, setting "PasteUpMorph MinCycleLapse: 1000" should reduce
network traffic pretty far, too....

Lex