caching of screen display...

Ian Piumarta Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
Fri Dec 3 11:34:59 UTC 1999

> But I still think the real solution is to implement a proper display
> server in Squeak;

I've thought about doing this several times over the past few years.
The required protocol is really narrow, so it should not be much work
at all.  The only tricky thing would be to integrate it properly with
all the {8,16,32}{ML}SB -> {8,16,32}{ML}SB conversion functions.  Even
run-length encoding (which is *fast*) to compress the transferred
Display regions would win big -- and, combined with some kind of
caching in the client side, might even make running over a modem
perfectly feasible.

It's just waiting for a rainy weekend...  ;-)

Alongside 36 zillion other little "weekend projects"...  :-(

Ian

PS: The priority for me is low: local display with XShm and async
    updates enabled (the only "serious" way to run Squeak ;-) is
    instantaneous on any machine that isn't already in a museum.

PPS: The thing should be built as a plugin, naturally.  Being
     able to assume (with certainty) that Unix is the local platform
     opens up many interesting plugin possibilities...  :^p