local time (was: something about Celeste)

Eric Ulevik eau at fast.fujitsu.com.au
Fri Dec 3 01:40:56 UTC 1999

From: Tim Rowledge <rowledge at interval.com>
> On Thu 02 Dec, Eric Ulevik wrote:
> > All time zones use leap seconds except Saudi Arabia, which uses solar
time.

> > Solar time is time based on the sun. I'm not sure what they do about
> > daylight saving. I suspect their second is not fixed, but elongates and
> > shrinks with the seasons.
> Please, please tell us you're kidding!

No... but I'm not sure about the details because I try hard to avoid it. I
do know that the start of the new month of the Islamic calendar in Saudi is
determined by when a specific iman sees the new moon. Thus weather
conditions can affect the calendar.

But the skies are usually clear, so the calendar is mostly predictable.

Regards,

Eric Ulevik