Newbie: Enclose Command Key Actions

John Duncan jddst19+ at pitt.edu
Sat Dec 4 16:14:06 UTC 1999

And Emacs has alt-shift commands all over it.  I find NT's alt-shift
keyboard layout changer to be a real screw, because many applications
actually do use the alt-shift combo.  I don't find it very hard to
change keyboard layouts without it.

Speaking of multilingual support, Microsoft has released the input
method editor for the web for CJK.  I wonder what it would take to
associate this with the VM.  It would make multilingual testing much
easier and much less problematic than building an IME for Squeak at
this time.  Does Apple have a similar global IME?  I'm not sure if the
Windows one is documented yet.  Perhaps I will look into it this
weekend.

Also, I think the multilingual support will be easier to handle if we
develop a way to access external fonts seamlessly.  Currently, one
must do it the hard way, importing large bitmaps into Squeak as fonts.
However, Postscript and TrueType CJK and Unicode fonts do exist, as
well as local hard fonts on certain platforms, such as Zaurus, etc.
If I can work out my font cache, it should make it a lot easier to
rasterize these fonts and display them very quickly with a minimum of
space req.  In the case of the palmtops, it would be better to use the
display support from the operating system, in order to conserve space.
There should be some interesting problems to look into.

-John