Feedback about the scripting area

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Dec 23 08:55:21 UTC 1999

> >We would like to use a Swiki were every child could share with the
> >other ones the scripts he like the most
>
> This is really great, Stephane!  It's terrific that you're developing
> some alternative scripting options for Squeak and trying them out
> with kids!

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not!

I had two days for doing something that works and that I can control
so I took the low low approach: I just implemented a stupid adpated like
Pen class with the semantics I needed.
Because I wanted to contorl the interface of that stuff: what are the important
message that you could use.

But I still want to use a wiki so that the children show to the other ones
what they are doing.

I'm redaing the book of abelson
Quite impressive (the end) for the beginning I guess that we can say more
about programming and intoruding the concept. I'm always in tension between
provided something that hide the complexity and just expalining it.
For example I want to introduce the idea of methods: code that the
turtle can learn and I was wondering if I should use block (pretty bad)
or I should implement a mini browser (but in squeak that will kill me)
or if I should just use the normal browser.

I think that the bets solution would be the second one.

> But I think that the basic idea is viable, and would be really
> effective for the kind of use you describe.  If you're interested,
> we'd be interested in working with you to try to improve ActiveSwikis
> so that they'd be usable for students.

That may be something interesting for the future.
I'm really thinking that there is somethign to do for children with such turtle
nothing is new but in france they use word for teaching "computer" to children
and I would like to try to influence that.

My plan is the following:
	- first have a draft view of all
	the topics we can teach with a stupid turtle.
		basic functioanlity, angle, color,
		loop, variables, method (parameters), recursion,

	- second enhance the turtle with smell and vision
	this was quite fun in the abelson book.

	- a third or second step would be how the turtle is implemented
	and intorudction to oo. ;)

	- in the same time check how the children react, see how I can
	define a dedicaced browser for them

I see that over one year depending on how my wife works.
Because I want to let her produce as much as material as possible
or write the first draft and that she refine it.

	- for the active wiki I could be interesting to see how far you can go
	to produce a stable one because I will not call them student but
	children ;). if we could use them as an alternative to the

	full squeak system that could be a good alternative.