Squeak/Siren vs Csound et al.

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 16 07:35:49 UTC 1999

Hello,

I was just browsing the archives of the squeak mailing list and noticed
this thread about squeak and music and all.

I have used Csound extensively in my music and still I am quite satisfied
with it (at least the synthesis side of it).  The real pain is score
generation.

I am not a programmer and I have been looking for all kinds of tools to
help/speed up/customize the composition process for a while.  In the
meantime I have tried various tools/progamming languages.  I even bought
Max- and it's still being used in a variety of fun ways.

Anyways, in my recent search of best tool for Csound score generation I
started learning python (well, also for some cgi apps) and almost started
developing some tools for my csound scores.  And suddenly I happened to
read about squeal (followed some stray link I guess).  And then I
discovered that Mr Pope developed a music system based on it.  So I just
spent 3 nights playing around with Squeal (and Siren) trying to understand
how it all works.

Having said all that, I'm planning to dive a bit more into squeal and
explore the music/multimedia side of it.  I'm just starting with it so I
guess it's going to take a while (is the learning curved considered to be
steep ???) before I can contribute anything (or even
read code) but i'd be interested in following the development.

Is there anyone else using Siren?

     ......   Michal Seta  ......