Alice and Wonderland Status

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Fri Dec 10 18:47:10 UTC 1999

At 15:00 -0500 12/9/99, Jeff Pierce wrote:
>Yup, Squeak Alice is definitely still alive.  Working on my PhD has just
>kept me too busy recently to make any significant improvements.  While the
>CMU Alice project has 3 full time staff members, 5 PhD students, and a
>small horde of undergraduates working on it, Squeak Alice basically has
>only me (and Andreas, who adds something cool now and then).
>
>Things to keep your eyes out for in the coming months:
>
>- A Squeak Alice chapter for Mark Guzdial's Squeak Book
>- Hardware acceleration (I'm looking forward to Andreas' new Balloon 3D
>implementation)
>- A new interface and rebuilt engine room (thesis work permitting)
>
>Other possibilities are integrating a 3D modeler (I think Alan's team has
>an intern working on a Squeak version of Teddy) and a 3D paint tool (I've
>toyed with the idea of building one from time to time) to allow end to end
>3D content creation (model, paint, animate) in Squeak Alice.
>
>Meanwhile, I haven't had any bug reports or requests from the Squeak
>community at all. Surely there's functionality y'all would like to see.
>What do you wish Squeak Alice could do?  What bugs have you run into?
>
>Jeff

Jeff:

Thanks! We're looking at Squeak for several research projects,
including one involving children, and I'm trying to find out what's
there and what's real and what's going to be around.

I've been Squeaking for several years now, but only on my time. I
keep pushing it at work, and got a huge boost from Dan's OOPSLA demo
which several managers form here saw; it helps that they're
Smalltalkers anyway!

I just started looking at Alice (beyond the demo) and so far cannot
find where the rabbit is defined anywhere. I'm starting to suspect it
doesn't, that it was loaded from a disk definition once and exist
only in that one window?

Is there any way to open an Alice character directly in the World?

Looking forward to your planned improvements...

Thanks,

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center