MajorShrink & SystemTracer

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 19:49:15 UTC 1999

Hernan,

Do you have a fileIn of the changes you made to 2.6 to get to the state
you're in?

Jerry.

Re:
=> 12/30/99 7:56:34 AM EST, hwilkinson at bitx.com.ar =>
<<     I'm doing some experiments with the VM and I need to add some instance
 variables to classes like Symbol and Behavior,
     To be able to test the changes, I'm using the InterpreterSimulator. To
 be able to use the InterpreterSimulator, I have to run it with a small image
 (let's say, no bigger than 1.5 megs.). Everything works great up to here.

     Now, to be able to change the definition of Symbol & Behavior, I have to
 use SystemTracer to generate a clone of the image with the changes that I
 want. So I started using SystemTracer to see how it worked, and I found a
 problem.
     If I generate a clone of the image that gets shipped with version 2.6,
 it works fine, I have no detected any problem. (But I need to shrink the
 image...)
     If I generate a clone of a shrinked image (after using majorShrink with
 some changes so it does not delete the class SystemTracer), Squeak crashes
 everytime I want to inspect something. The problem is that Squeak tries to
 access to a memory position that it is out of range... If I run the image
 with the InterpreterSimulator, I get the error "subscript is out of bounds".
 If I run the image with the compiled VM, it generates the dump that I'm
 attaching to this note. >>