[UPDATES] More for 2.7alpha

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Dec 7 05:40:59 UTC 1999

Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote ...
>In the early stages of installing partitioned environments in Squeak,
>interpreted access will be provided in several ways.  To begin with,
>environments will intercept the doesNotUnderstand: message and, if the
>message begins with a capital letter, it will look up the corresponding
>name using #at:, and return the value if found.  A refinement to this
>feature will be to compile an export method on the spot, so that
>subsequent accesses to that variable run much faster.
>
>sr: That's the only point which makes me some stomach-ache: I hope,
>that's only thought for the early stages, isn't it!? It's a
>contradiction to 'information hiding' above, but I understand that in
>the meantime there has to be a solution to ensure the runnability of the
>current system.

Yes -- it is only a safety net until we can get the system to hold together.

If you look at the code, you will see the dNU: hack and also a couple of access messages that violate scope (atOrBelow, deepDo:, etc).  These will be removed when things are solid.  There is also a preference (lenientScopeForGlobals) that is used so that I can correctly parse the old methods in order to locate the global variables in the source, in order to rewrite them to proper remote references (!).  This, too will be removed.  The automatic compilation of export methods ONLY takes place during this rewrite process, so there is no enduring mechanism which will do this.

I plan to send out this evening or tomorrow a filin that will allow you to run
	Environment reorganizeEverything
(it's broken now) successfully, and then you can get in as much trouble as I am ;-).

	- Dan