CCodeGenerator: suggestion

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sat Dec 25 20:02:16 UTC 1999

>If we'd prefer a Smalltalk programming style of plugins it would be best
>to avoid C'ish ST constructs. But I have to admit that I have made - in
>my current (first) plugin, therefore so much mails from me ;-) - very
>C'ish code to improve the speed...(see summary below)

Slang is neither C nor Smalltalk.  Necessarily, its a bit of each.

>My suggestions came from the vision to be able to automatically compile
>arbitrary ST classes to speed up them if they are finished... Do you
>know the work of ST/X from Claus Gittinger?

That would be well beyond the scope of the present system.  Perhaps
in time we can consider building a full native Smalltalk with
threaded access to the VM routines.  It isn't likely that the present
code will ever directly evolve to such a system.  (On the other hand,
there is no reason the parser front-end can't evolve to such a thing.)

The promise of SqC is that Jitter will in time give us a sufficient
performance boost as to obviate any need to do that sort of thing.

>Therefore I think most important - before further enhancements - are
>error messages from the compiler if it something cannot compile!

Perhaps.  Some documentation would be a good thing too.  Perhaps you
can help us out on that front?

Merry Christmas everyone.